Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dollar Tree Treasures

I went by a Dollar Tree today and found some really great stuff!


I found these "Glitter Girl" nails in the toy section. These could be used as individual student pointers as they learn to follow along when reading text. They come in blue, pink and purple. This might not be the best thing for the boys but I have also seen where people use green martian fingers as pointers. 


You can purchase these in many different places and especially during Halloween at various stores like Party City.  You can also find them at Oriental Trading-Martian Fingers or at Really Good Stuff- Martian Fingers.


These are stickers that I plan on using in my writing center for "Sticker Story". The students are able to pick one sticker. Once they have picked one sticker they place it on their paper and they draw a picture with it, then they write about what is happening in the picture. This not only helps them gain experience with writing but it teaches them to think about what they are wanting to write about. Dollar Tree always has a great selection of stickers! 



I found dice! They come in packs of 10 which is a really good deal! I also found packs of playing cards both regular and large print. There are two full packs of cards in the package for $1.


I use this for sorting sounds or letters. I place the objects I want sorted in the middle and then labels the outside compartments with either letters or pictures that begin with a certain sound. Then they children sort them in centers as a beginning activity. You could make this harder by having them sort word families or ending sounds. 


Here is a pack of snakes found in the toy section. You can take one of the snakes and use it to help your students speed themselves up during reading or when preparing them for DIBELS (letter naming, etc). You introduce the snake to the child and how he is going to chase their fingers. If they stop of too long he will bite them. Now, DISCLAIMER, he does NOT really bite and I show them it doesn't hurt by doing it on me and then trying it out on them before starting. It really is just a FUN way to get them to speed up when all else fails.  I just follow their finger with it and if they stop for too long I'll touch it to their finger and make a noise. They think it is HILARIOUS!


Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment